Sunday, April 18, 2010

End of the road

My overnight stay in Spokane, WA felt like no more than a pitstop. I was basically on my way home now, but it was too far a drive from West Yellowstone, MT. In a rush to get on the road, I left about 7:30 am. Instead of taking the interstate option, decided on the more scenic, albeit slower US Hwy 2. This route takes you through the wheat fields of eastern Washington and over the Cascade Mountains, while passing through small towns along the way.

Although anxious to get home, I found time to see one of Washington State's most impressive natural attractions. Just south of Coulee City is an area known as Dry Falls. These rock faces were formed at the end of the last ice age, and the water flowing was ten times greater than Niagara Falls. There is no longer any water...hence the name...but it's still an amazing sight.

As I followed Hwy 2 into the mountains, I stopped briefly in the town of Cashmere to visit Liberty Orchards, famous for their Aplets & Cotlets candy. Since it was Sunday, their factory was not in operation, but I bought a few things at their outlet store. I continued on and drove through the Bavarian town of Leavenworth. This is a good place to go if you want a cuckoo clock! When I reached the other side of the mountains, I joined traffic heading north on I-5. I was in the homestretch!

But, there was one last roadblock impeding my way...tulip gridlock! During the month of April, people flock from miles around...even other countries...for the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival in La Conner. Personally, I don't see what the big deal is. I mean, they're FLOWERS! And, all the same kind...just different colors. Oh, well...to each his own. All I know is, the volume of vehicles on the freeway suddenly increased in the area and delayed my homecoming, much to my frustration. Thankfully, it didn't last and 30 minutes later...I was home! As I was unlocking my front door, I could hear my cat Kimi meowing. She was SO HAPPY to see me...wouldn't stop meowing!

And, so, my third Five For Fighting groupie road trip has come to an end. I would say by far this was the best road trip ever! I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to top this one. When I get caught up on things, I'll be posting my end-of-the-road-trip number crunching blog, as well as my road trip wrap up. You'll read stuff that I didn't include in my previous blogs. So, stay tuned! Oh, there's no place like home!

No comments: