Monday, April 12, 2010

Rocks, rocks...and more rocks

My morning began with a rather abrupt and unexpected awakening at 5:30 am. No, it wasn't MY alarm clock...it was the HOTEL alarm clock. And, I didn't even set it! I never check the alarm clock before I go bed because I assume it's not activated. Well, this one was! So, I lost a half hour of sleep. I was planning to get up at 6:00 am anyway...which in reality was 7:00 am. Confused? Turns out the state of Arizona doesn't believe in Daylight Savings time! But, I still needed to account for it since I was traveling to Utah...which DID change their clocks last month!

My first destination of the day... Monument Valley, which is a Navajo Tribal Park. I had never been to this famous park, location of many old western flicks and more recent films like National Lampoon's Vacation, Forrest Gump and Thelma And Louise. Visitors can drive a loop road through the park to see the unique rock formations. I knew ahead of time the road was going to be rough...dirt and rock. I wasn't wrong about that. But, my Blazer negotiated things with ease. I wonder what the other folks in their sedans were thinking as they bounced along the roads on their street tires? The scenery was breath taking...well worth getting my ride covered with red dust! It was VERY windy, too, which blew that same dust into my hair! Yuk!

When I got back to the visitor parking lot, I decided to eat my lunch in my car. As I did so, I noticed a couple of cute mutts walking around, looking for handouts. They walked up to a car where an older man was eating chips. He threw some on the ground, and they gobbled up the treat. After I was done eating, I got out of my vehicle to dispose of my trash. The dogs walked up to me expectedly. I didn't have any more lunch, but I DID have some beef jerky. I gave each of them a couple of pieces, which they greatly appreciated! Such nice, well-mannered dogs!

Next, I traveled a short distance north to a small, but impressive state park... Goosenecks. This park is notable for their rock formations known as entrenched meander which resembles curved goose necks...hence the park's name. After snapping some photos, I took the quickest route to my last park of the day, Natural Bridges. What I didn't realize was that this road would prove to be the most challenging of the day. Utah's Hwy 261 has a 4-mile stretch of gravel road. Not only that, the road is a series of wicked switchbacks and no guardrails as you travel up a steep grade. I handled this challenge with ease, but as I was driving up, I couldn't help but think this is one road you wouldn't want to take at night!

When I arrived at Natural Bridges National Monument, I was admitted with the annual pass that I bought at Grand Canyon yesterday. After getting a park map, I drove their loop road. Natural Bridges has only three stone arches...unlike Arches National Park, which has many more. I had never seen a natural bridge...or arch, if you prefer...in my life, so three was impressive. There were actually trails leading to each bridge, but I only walked to one... Owachomo Bridge. I really didn't have time to hike to the other two, and it was only a quarter mile to this one. There was no one around as I trekked down the stone steps and over rocks to the bottom. It was nice to just have the bridge to myself.

Going to the parks during the slow part of the year is great...hardly anyone around! And, it's not too hot yet. But, it's supposed to cool off and rain overnight! Hopefully, the weather will be favorable for more park visits tomorrow!

No comments: