Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Sing along with John at the HOB


It was my first really warm day since starting my road trip a week ago. Warm enough to run the air conditioner in my groupie mobile! Like I planned last night, before leaving Los Angeles, I had an early lunch at Pink's. That chili dog really hit the spot. Nothing tastes better than something you really, really wanted!

When I arrived in San Diego, it was too early to check into my hotel, so I walked down to the House of Blues...the site of tonight's Five For Fighting concert. Since I wanted Pass The Line privileges to get into the show...you buy a meal and get to enter ahead of the general public...I had an early dinner there. About halfway through my hot turkey sandwich, a couple of the Five For Fighting crew guys walked by. Ah, the bus must have arrived. When I finished eating, I walked outside and sure enough, they were in the process of unloading the trailer. Hoping my room was ready, I walked back to the hotel...it was!

After freshening up, I returned to the HOB and found out from the security guy where Pass The Line folks should stand. I then took up my position at the front of the imaginary line, since there was absolutely no one there at 4:45 pm. Opening act Matt Wertz's van and trailer were being unloaded, which didn't take very long...both are pretty small compared to the Five For Fighting set up. Then, Matt came walking out of the building toward me. I said "Hello" and told him it was my 4th show...he was impressed! I complimented him on his music and wished him luck on his career...this was his last show with Five For Fighting. Matt was appreciative and thanked me...such a nice guy! Later, his drummer Josh Robinson came outside and I greeted him, too...he remembered me from Portland.

As I continued to wait, Five For Fighting bass player Joe Karns came out of the restaurant. I told him "Show number 4!," which enthused him! At around 6:00 pm, a van pulled up and out stepped Greg Suran and John Ondrasik. They were coming from a special acoustic performance put on by Sophie @103.7 in San Diego. I said "Hi" to John and told him "I'll see you up in front of the stage!" In response, John gave me the thumbs up! Soon, I could hear the sweet sounds of the Five For Fighting soundchecks through the closed music hall doors. Afterwards, drummer Randy Cooke exited the building, and I called out to him. I asked Randy if he would sign something for me...he was cool about that. At that point, I whipped out a signature Randy Cooke drumstick out of my plastic bag, and Randy started laughing. I told him that he never offered me a drumstick so I just got my own. I asked Randy if he would personalize the stick for me, which he was glad to do. He thanked me again for making the cookies for everyone...I was happy to do it! After Randy left, I was surprised when John popped out of the same door. Before he walked down the street, he told me, "See you later!," to which I replied, "OK." How lame could I be? But, I couldn't think of anything witty to say, considering I was caught unawares and John wasn't stopping.

At around 6:15, people started to finally start lining up for the show, including a few others in the Pass The Line queue. One gal said I looked familiar. Turns out we stood next to each other at the 4th & B show back in 2007! It's amazing how I run into the same people at Five For Fighting shows, but then John has a considerable loyal fan base! When doors opened at 7:00, I was first inside, and got my primo spot at the stage. I was joined by the gal who knew me and her husband and friend, and a couple of Five For Fighting newbies. Like all folks who have never seen a Five For Fighting show, I told the newbies they were going to love John performing live. When Matt and his band started things off, I must say I enjoyed hearing him one last time. Tonight was his final show with John, and he didn't disappoint...great stuff!

As John took the stage, right off the bat it was obvious things were going to be different from the previous 3 shows I had already gone to. For one thing...everyone was singing! World, Chances, The Riddle...the sound of the audience singing in unison with John was truly amazing! John loved it! Nothing is sweeter to a songwriter than knowing that people not only love your music, but take the time to learn the lyrics. John's set for the night was short one song from what I'd been hearing...he didn't sing Bella's Birthday Cake!

World
Chances
The Riddle
Devil In The Wishing Well
65 Mustang
Easy Tonight
NYC Weather Report
Superman
Two Frogs
Freedom Never Cries (solo)
If God Made You (solo)
Augie Nieto (Greg on guitar)
Slice
100 Years

Encore: Disneyland, I Just Love You, Hope

Also missing...John didn't grab a child in the audience to sit with him for Superman because there WERE no children. It was a 21 and older show. And, there was one minor glitch...a malfunction prevented Greg from accompanying John on guitar for Hope. John, ever the professional, went on and finished the song without any music. It was awesome to hear John sing aca pella with no music...he's SO good! After the show, people lined up to get autographs and photos with John and the band. I had something cool to show John, so I let everyone go ahead of me. I was pretty much last when I got to the band table. When Randy saw me, he started laughing. He turned to Greg and told him about the drumstick and joked next time I would bring a snare drum for him to sign! That Randy! Always the funny guy! I told Greg if I had known that he had a turntable on the bus...John tweeted about it...I would have let him borrow some of my vinyl. Finally, when I got to John, I pulled out a vintage Five For Fighting hockey jersey, put out my Sony Music, Canada. It was red and white with white maple leaf on the front with the words "Five For Fighting" inside of it. On the back, it said "Superman" and "5 For Fighting." Randy was impressed with the jersey, and John said it was REALLY old. John signed the back for me, and before leaving, I said I would see him at Tuacahn...the venue of the last Five For Fighting show of the tour.

So, tomorrow I have a free day, which I'll spend doing a bit of sightseeing before spending the night in Las Vegas. No, I don't plan on doing any gambling. I have more constructive ways to utilize my hard-earned dough...going on Five For Fighting groupie road trips!

No comments: