Saturday, April 3, 2010

Right place, right time...and a little luck!

I woke up this morning a bit bleary eyed. I didn't get bed till 2:00 am, and had problems falling asleep. Too wound up from yesterday's excitement, I guess! As I left the Best Western Loyal Inn...there, I revealed the hotel with the stuffy front counter guy...it was raining. It continued all the way down to Portland, with wind added to the mixture. I swung by the Crystal Ballroom...the venue for the night's Five For Fighting concert...at around 12:30 pm, but the bus wasn't there yet. I hung around for about an hour, then decided to check into my hotel.

My accommodations in Portland were a lot nicer than usual, at least for someone as thrifty as myself. I usually stay at the two star hotels, like Days Inn, Econolodge, and the before-mentioned Best Western. Since I wanted to be as close to the venue as possible this time around, I looked over the AAA offerings...and went with the Marriott! Now, you would think a place like this would be expensive, it usually is. But, as a AAA member, it was downright reasonable, albeit about $20-30 more than my usual type of hotel. As soon as I approached the front door, I knew things were going to be different! There were door guys, and valet parking. The front counter gal was VERY pleasant, and immediately checked me in, even though it was only 1:30 pm! I unloaded my bags from the Blazer, and the bell hop/door guy accompanied me up to my room. I admitted to him that I was a newbie when it came to the Marriott, so he showed me the room's amenities. As he left, yes, I tipped him!

After grabbing a quick bite to eat, and freshening up, I made the 10 minute walk to the Crystal Ballroom. At 4:30 pm, no one was waiting in line yet...and the tour bus was parked out in front. But, shortly after I arrived, a couple showed up, and said they were there for the radio station K103 soundcheck meet and greet with Five For Fighting. Now, I had entered the drawing for this, and had high hopes, but I didn’t win. As we waited and talked, Greg Suran got off the bus, and I asked him if he tried my cookies. He said he had, and they were good…he specifically mentioned eating a peanut butter one! A little later, Joe Karns walked up, and I asked him the same question. He also said he enjoyed the cookies, and I thanked him for the compliment!

After a little while, the guy working at the venue told everyone that they would be going in about 5:00 pm. I told him I was just waiting to be first in line for the concert itself. He then told me I could go in with them! I wasn't sure this was right, but he assured me it was okay. At that moment, I thought fortune was smiling on me! Shortly after that, John Ondrasik got off the bus, and made his way toward the entrance. As John walked by, he spotted me, and I told him I got invited to the party. He looked a little surprised, but said that was nice.

When the radio station people arrived, I got the bad news. They had a list, and the venue guy was mistaken about allowing me in! Oh, well. The radio guy started reading off names, and several people did not answer. One of the winners thought that maybe I could go in after all! I didn’t think so. Suddenly, a family who won a different contest…that included meet and greet AND show tickets…said that they were allowed 5 people in their party. Not only did they only have 3…they invited me to join them! How cool was that? I thanked them for their generosity, and rejoined the group. Talk about luck! It was almost too good to be true! But, we all went in, and I soon found myself upstairs, where John and the band were already doing musical exercises with their instruments. John asked everyone what they wanted to hear. Someone suggested The Taste, but John had to decline that one. He did agree on the next request, Angels and Girlfriends, followed by Superman. Then, John and the band did the customary meet and greet thing...photos and autographs.

As all this was going on, I hung back and let everyone enjoy the moment. After all, I had already done it all the previous night. I ended up talking to opening act Matt Wertz's drummer, John. He appreciated my compliments on their music. When I finally got a chance, I asked John if he had tried my cookies. He replied with some resignation that he was on a "tour diet," which accounted for his slim physique! I told him that he was too thin, which he thanked me! I also got to talk to Randy Cooke a little more. I asked him what his cat's name was...Mac. I also asked who was taking care of him while he was on tour. Randy said that his next door neighbors were tending to Mac. I love people who are cat lovers! In all, it was fun being at a soundcheck. I wouldn't mind doing it again, though!

As I exited the building, I once again took up my position as first-in-line. Soon, a couple showed up to join me. Turns out they were at last November's show at The Aladdin...closer to the front of the line then me for that one! We had a nice conversation talking about John and his music...they were pretty knowledgable! Several more people joined us, waiting in the chilly wind for the doors to open. Suddenly, the same door guy I talked to earlier told everyone we could wait in the cafe inside, to get away from the weather! How nice! But, it turned out to be not the best deal for me and the couple...at least at first. Without us knowing it, when it got close 7:00 pm...the official opening time...people who were waiting in the bar started lining up at the staircase to the ballroom! We were now no longer first. In fact, there were about a dozen folks ahead of us! I could see the quest for a front and center spot at the stage going down the drain! When the time came, I went up the stairs with a mission...run if I had to! Turns out it wasn't necessary. Most of the people in front of us ended up going for the balcony seats! I had my perfect spot after all! Whew! Strangely enough, I was joined by 4 other people who I had met at the November show...a lady and her daughter, and a guy with his young daughter! One would say small world, but I would reply...fellow Five For Fighting fanatics! I was now in good company!

Because the ballroom was a bigger venue than the Seattle club show, Matt's music didn't seem quite so loud. But, it was still great! And, the same could be said of John and the band. The night's set list was as follows:

World
Chances
The Riddle
Devil In The Wishing Well
65 Mustang
Easy Tonight
NYC Weather Report
Superman
Two Frogs
Freedom Never Cries (solo)
If God Made You (solo)
Augie Nieto (w/Greg on acoustic)
Disneyland
Slice
100 Years

Encore: Bella's Birthday Cake, I Just Love You, Hope

I need to make special note of lighting director Don Weeks' fine work. The lights were just awesome...they made for some pretty sweet pics! One thing I forgot to mention in the last blog. At one point in the show, John complimented the parents who brought their kids to see him. Then, John focused on one small boy...a 7-year-old named Tyler. He didn't have the greatest view of John because of the huge piano on the small stage. John thought that he should have a better seat...so he invited him on stage to sit with him at the piano! John then proceeded to perform Superman, with the thrilled child next to him! Well, John did the same thing tonight, with a 12-year-old girl named Abbie. John never ceases to amaze people with his kindness and thoughtfulness!

After the show, John and the band made themselves available for autographs and photos. While I waited to talk to John, I perused the merchandise table. Hey, new stuff! I ended up buying a hooded sweatshirt and a T-shirt. I can never have too much when it comes to Five For Fighting apparel! When the line finally petered out, and John and the band started to leave, I wished them all a Happy Easter and told them I would see them at The Wiltern in Los Angeles. Randy wanted a good bye hug, which I was only to happy to give him!

So, that concluded another event-filled day for this Five For Fighting groupie. While John does another show in San Francisco tomorrow night, I'll be making the long drive to Sacramento, followed by another half day of driving to L.A. In reality, it will be a few days of rest for me. Right now, it's 1:30 am, and I still have my personal journal to finish before hitting the sack. Sweet dreams await!

No comments: