Sunday, July 20, 2008

A heavenly night!

As posted on MySpace on March 7, 2008.

So, you wanna know what happened at the Beach Bash for Augie's Quest? Let's just say everything...and then some! It was truly the best night ever! Just how good was it? Well, read on.

I arrived at the Marriott Hotel a little before 6:00 pm, accompanied by John Wing...MySpace friend and Five For Fighting group member...and his friend Rick. Like myself, they had made a long trip just to attend the Bash. We checked in at the registration desk, and were directed to the cocktail party area outside. It was rather chilly but I was too excited to really feel the cold. The silent auction items were also there, but I didn't see anything I was interested in bidding on, not even a John Ondrasik signed guitar...as if I don't have enough of those! They had free hors d'oeuvres provided by Panda Express, but I opted to wait for dinner. All the while, I kept my eye on the building doors, awaiting John Ondrasik's arrival.

At about 7:15, John showed up with family in tow. I walked up to them, and when his wife Carla saw me, I asked her if she remembered me...she did! John said "Hi" to me, and introduced his kids...I said "Hi" to Johnny and Olivia. John asked how I was doing, and I replied everything was fine. He said he would talk to us later, and his attention was soon diverted to a virtual reality surfing computer game. Olivia tried it once, but she was cold, so Carla took her inside. John then hopped on and tried out his surfing skills, which wasn't too good. Johnny was much better and soon achieved a credible score...much more skilled than his dad.

After awhile, John made his way inside to the lobby in front of the grand ballroom...where the Beach Bash dinner would be held. Augie Nieto was there, holding court. People were saying their hellos and photographers were doing their thing. John took his kids up to Augie and greeted his good friend. As other folks continued to talk to Augie and his wife Lynne, John Wing and I were trying to figure out how to get our chance. John then came to us and asked if we had met Augie yet. We said "No," and John took it upon himself to introduce us to Augie. He called us "his friends" and told Augie that I was a big FFF supporter, and was now an Augie's Quest supporter. I explained to Augie that John Wing and I had traveled long distances just to attend the Bash, and also mentioned my unsuccessful attempt to sponsor a table. I offered Augie a FFF 100 Years promo button, telliing him it represented our FFF group. John accepted it on Augie's behalf, and put it in Augie's shirt pocket. I tried to offer one to John, too, but he declined, adding he could get them...of course! While this was going on, I THINK a photographer was taking photos of us with Augie. I sure hope so, because I didn't get a chance to take my own pics. We thanked John for being so nice, then talked a bit with Augie's wife Lynne. I gave HER a button, too.

At that point, they opened the doors to the ballroom, and everyone filed inside. I had noticed Olivia wearing a VIP pass...it said "John"...so it was obvious the Ondrasiks would be sitting up front. Our little group on the other hand...table 91 out of 104. The nosebleed seats, so to speak. At least they had two big screens so we could still see what was going on up on the stage. As we dug into our salads, emcee Natalie Morales of The Today Show kicked off the festivities. She did some small talk, then introduced guest speaker Ronnie Lott. After a few more presentations, there was a live auction, then dinner was served. Shrimp, filet mignon, steamed vegetables and mashed potatoes...VERY tasty! I thought John wasn't going to perform this evening, but he did...in a way. They showed a video of Augie, accompanied by a brand new song that John wrote, called Augie Nieto. It was classic John Ondrasik...in other words, poignant and brilliant! What a treat! Dessert was a fancy plate with a centerpiece of chocolate mousse...tasty! Then, it was time for Pat Monahan of Train to take the stage. He did several songs from his new solo album, as well as Train hits, Drops of Jupiter and Calling All Angels.

While Pat was rocking the ballroom, many people had already left, including everyone else at our table. Just the three of us remained! So, in a manner of speaking...I had my FFF table! Feeling playful, I tore the photo out of the event program of John and Augie, and clipped it to our table number holder. We now had our FFF group designation for all to see! I took a photo for posterity. John Wing and I then made our way up to the stage, where the majority of attendees were situated to see Pat better. I noticed John at his table talking to Natalie Morales. I decided, this might be my only chance to talk to him again and get a pic. When there was a pause in their conversation, I asked John...over the loud music...if he could sign a couple of things for friends. He said "Sure," and I gave him two CD liners. He graciously personalized them...I had nothing for myself because, honestly, I have enough autographs. I DID want a photo with John, to which he cheerfully obliged. John Wing took the pic, and I must say...it's ALWAYS nice being with John!

Pat finished his performance, and it was time to announce the final donation tally of the night. Augie was there as John, Natalie and other ALS/MDA personnel presented a check to Augie for $1,504,675! They had surpassed last year's Bash total! Earlier, they asked everyone for additional pledge donations, which I was all to happy to give. As pledge sheets were collected, Natalie and a gentleman read them over the PA. I waited with baited breath for what was going to come. As expected, Natalie stumbled over the pronunciation of my first name, then said it right. If there's anything John and I have in common, it's people mispronouncing our names.

The night was over, but John Wing and I weren't quite done with John. We wanted to say our final goodbyes. We had a VERY nice few minutes of conversation with him. John was SO appreciative of all the work I had been doing supporting him, which was music to my ears! I asked him how he was doing with the new album. He said he was 1/4 done...as in 1/4 of the songs WRITTEN for the album! John hasn't even started recording yet! Which means, folks...no touring till 2009! You heard it first right here, straight from John's mouth! John was also very sorry that he hasn't had the time to answer everyone's emails, including my own. It's understandable...he's a busy guy! John then wished me a safe drive home, and that's when I asked him...can I have a hug? Sure, he replied, and I got my long awaited hug. Am I silly, or what? Hey, it felt GOOD! We then wished him good night...and then, the Beach Bash was over. Oh, one more thing...on the way out of the ballroom, we were each given a free copy of Augie Nieto's inspirational book. Cool!

So, my Beach Bash has come to a satisfying end. It was an inspirational, exciting and magical night. Once again, John proved to be the sweetest, most generous guy on the face of the earth. Every reunion with him has been memorable and rewarding. I will always consider John Ondrasik a friend, and I hope he feels likewise...I think he does.

No comments: