Sunday, July 20, 2008

Yum...scallops!

As posted on MySpace on March 6, 2008.

Before leaving San Luis Obispo this morning, I had two places I needed to go. First, and most important...my FFF groupie ride was a mess. My last day on the Oregon coast was rainy and that, coupled with the wet pavement coated my Blazer in a dirty film. This was unacceptable for my arrival into San Diego. What if by some chance John sees my wheels...it had to look presentable! I found a hand wash car wash and decided to splurge. When it was done, it looked great! My second assignment... Bubblegum Alley. This local landmark is the only one of its kind in the U.S., and probably the world. The walls of this 70 foot pedestrian alley is covered with used, discarded gum. Some may consider it an eyesore, others a work of art, but as gross as it is, I think everyone would agree that it has put San Luis Obispo on the map!

My one tourist destination of the day was the Santa Barbara Zoo. I like animals and zoos give me a chance to see the most unusual species. I majored in wildlife biology in college, so my interest in flora and fauna is understandable. The zoo was small, but nice. It didn't take me too long to see all the animals which was convenient because I had an hour drive to Malibu. I decided my visit to southern California just would not be complete without a return visit to the seafood restaurant mentioned in the Five For Fighting song California Justice... Neptune's Net! I knew exactly what I wanted...the scallop and clam basket! And, it was worth the little side trip...I enjoyed every bite!

Afterwards, I was not looking forward to driving the 150 miles to San Diego because I knew what was going to happen. Sure enough, as soon as I got on the 405 south...traffic was crawling! Everytime cars merged on or off the freeway, the ripple effect traveled from the right lane across all the other lanes! At times, traffic came to a stop! Why? Vehicles changing lanes and holding things up while they did so. It was infuriating and frustrating. I know the locals are used to it, but that doesn't make it any easier. About every 5 miles from Santa Monica to Long Beach...moving, then stopping. My brakes got a workout and my gas mileage plummeted. Think about all the fuel wasted from all those vehicles stuck in traffic every weekday, of every year. It took me an extra half hour to reach San Diego, which I guess isn't so bad...it could have been worse.

So, tomorrow is the big night...The Beach Bash for Augie's Quest! The Today Show's Natalie Morales will emcee the event, and there will be a celebrity guest speaker, NFL Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott. In addition, the musical entertainment will be provided by Pat Monahan of Train...a big function such as this requires a top performer! Of course, I would have preferred John do the entertaining, but he deserves to relax every now and then. And, he WILL be enjoying the night along with the rest of us. Are you ready? I sure am!

No comments: