Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Rain...then, a little spot of sunshine!

As recalled on March 3, 2008.

I woke up to overcast skies...and rain! I guess it's to expected, being on the Oregon coast. I can only cross my fingers that my whole trip won't be like this! My first stop of the day was Sea Lion Caves. The nice thing about it was because it was a CAVE, it was at least dry inside! I was lucky...there were a LOT of sea lions to see, which I'm told is not always the case. Cool! The rain tapered off long enough for me to get a quick look at the pitcher plants at Darlingtonia State Natural Site just down the road.

I had my heart set on an Italian beef sandwich for lunch, but to my disappointment, the establishment was closed. Hungry, I settled on Taco Bell. I know, I know...fast food. But, it was an emergency, and besides, it was fairly nutritious. Worried that the lousy weather might affect me visiting my highlight of the day... West Coast Game Park...I gave them a call. Yes, we're open, was the answer. To my relief, by the time I reached the zoo, the rain had stopped. I was looking forward to this place because they advertised being a wildlife petting zoo. There were only a handful of visitors other than myself there, which would later prove to be advantageous for me. The game park was small, but they had a really nice collection of animals, especially the big cats.

Almost as soon as I entered, I was greeted by a gorgeous white tiger cub. He was running back and forth in his pen, as if he wanted me to play with him. When he realized I couldn't, he settled for his ball. The adult white tiger was also beautiful, as were the regular tigers, lion, lynx, cougar and black panther. There were goats, deer and a donkey walking around freely among the visitors. Then, there was an announcement over the loudspeaker that there were a couple of animals available for petting. Everyone converged on the petting area to get a look at a baby coatimundi and a young caracal or desert lynx. I pet both of them on their backs...the only area we were allowed to pet them. Some were a bit leery with the caracal...I guess they were afraid it might turn around and scratch them?

Later on, there was another opportunity to get up close and personal with the animals. This time, though, I found myself alone. It appeared the other visitors had already met the two animals being presented. The female keeper first brought out the white tiger cub...the same playful one I saw earlier. Simba was his name, and he was one handsome fellow. His fur felt soft and springy. I got some really nice photos of him. Then, the lady brought out the cutest thing I'd ever seen...a five-week-old cougar kitten. Her name was Solo, and she was simply beautiful! She had pretty blue eyes, and her fur was so soft! The lady then surprised me by asking...would I like to play with Solo? Would I! I was given a plastic PVC pipe with a towel tied to the end, and I proceeded to wiggle it back and forth in front of her. Now, playing with a cougar kitten is really no different than a regular housecat. All cats love to play, especially the young ones. For about five minutes, I was in heaven! It had to be one of the most rewarding and memorable experiences of my entire life! Solo was just SO precious, batting the towel and running around the enclosure. She was having fun! But, all good things must come to an end...likewise my time with Solo. And, so ended another fantastic day of my wonderful road trip journey!

No comments: