Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's not easy to be me

As recalled on March 1, 2008.

If today was any indication of how the rest of my road trip will be, I'm in for a most interesting experience. Right off the bat, I had a disagreement with my GPS. I wanted to go one way...my more familiar route...and, it wanted me to go another way. It said it was faster. Hmm...OK, I'll go for it. It had been years since I took this other direction, but I had to admit it WAS more picturesque! Before I knew it, I was crossing over the Cascade Mountains toward the interstate, which would take me to Oregon. After a surprise snow at White Pass...which was full of happy skiers...I reached the other side. Unfortunately, my shiny Blazer was now a muddy mess...oh, well. I had a quick lunch at Burgerville USA in Kelso, WA, one of the few times on my road trip I planned to eat fast food. I AM looking forward to In 'N' Out Burger when I reach California, though!

A short hour drive later, I found myself in historic Astoria, OR and the first sightseeing stop of my trip...the Columbia River Maritime Museum. This museum features exhibits and displays depicting life at the mouth of the Northwest's greatest river. Early settlers and explorers, fisherman and fish canneries, shipwrecks and ship rescues, and the U.S. Coast Guard...it was all so fascinating! I was especially impressed by the stories of the bar pilots...the brave and skilled individuals who guide ships over the Columbia River bar, where the Pacific Ocean and Columbia River meet. And, those are treacherous waters indeed, even on calm days. Hundreds of boats and ships have fallen victim to that most unforgiving spot!

After two hours of mind-stimulating education, I traveled to the highest point in town to see the famous Astoria Column. Completed in 1926, the bas-relief artwork on the 125 ft. column illustrates historical events that occurred between St. Paul, MN and Astoria. When I arrived, I noted a sign in the parking area stating there was a $1 parking fee. I walked to the gift shop/visitor's center to pay my fee. As I entered the small building, the lady behind the counter looked up and me and said "Hello! Glad to see you again." Huh? After quickly recovering from my surprise, I told her that it was my first visit to the column. Now, it was HER turn to be confused. It appears I have a twin...someone who looks just like me! That's the first time I've ever had THAT happen to me. Everyone is supposed to have a twin somewhere in the world, or so they say. I guess it's true.

No comments: